new ARP code review

Luigi Rizzo rizzo at icir.org
Mon Jun 18 15:39:54 UTC 2007

On Mon, Jun 18, 2007 at 07:15:51PM +0400, Gleb Smirnoff wrote:
> [moving to net@]
>
> On Mon, Jun 18, 2007 at 07:31:18AM -0700, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> L> On Mon, Jun 18, 2007 at 05:29:55PM +0400, Gleb Smirnoff wrote:
> L> > Can you please prod me when you have incorporated my suggestions,
> L> > and I will try to find a free time to review your patch again.
> L> > I am still concerned about performance impact of this change.
> L> > Have you measured it since?
> L>
> L> is this a generic objection or you have something specific in mind ?
>
> Now we have a single lookup. On every output packet the radix head
> lock is acquired and a radix trie is searched for the given IP
> address. This lookup returns us the hardware address that this IP
> uses (if it is on local net). The packet is passed into output queue.
>
> In the suggested patch we are doing two lookups: routing table
> (radix trie) and the hash table. I suppose, this is going to be
> slower than one lookup. We should also take into account that
> hash tables has its separate locking.

the splitting is exactly the goal of this work and is by design.
The mapping between the L3 and L2 addresses has nothing to do with
the IP route lookup, and it should be elsewhere (namely, in the hash
table or whatever data structure is appropriate).

Eventually, with this structure you can do the route lookup
only when you need to find the next hop (e.g. when a route
changes etc.) and just the much-cheaper L3-L2 map in other cases.

Even if the current implementation keeps doing both, this change
is a step towards a separation of the two functions and enabling
more cleanup in the code.

I hope you don't disagree on the design. As for actual performance,
we may pay something, as we did if you compare 4.x and 6.x/7.x,
but then the opportunities for parallelization, reduction of
contention and further code simplifications are well worth it.

	cheers
	luigi