Wierd networking.

Eygene Ryabinkin rea-fbsd at codelabs.ru
Fri Jul 20 07:22:37 UTC 2007

Julian, good day.

Thu, Jul 19, 2007 at 09:33:28AM -0700, Julian Elischer wrote:
> replying to myself.. the comment in the code in  question said:
>
> /*-----------------------------------------------------------------*/
> >/** if the elaborateTCPFin option is set, keeps the socket open
> > * and drains it until the other side closes it.  Solves a problem
> > * with IE spewing extra client data to a Linux socket, then reporting
> > * an error in response a TCP reset (rather than FIN) from Linux */
>
> which is EXACTLY the problem I was seeing :-)

I assume that you're talking about Squid code?

Do you think that FreeBSD TCP/IP stack should also do something
about this problem?  The situation where one side closes the
descriptor while other it still trying to push the data is legal:
for example, one side invokes close() but some data from other side
is in transit, so we will see some unneccessary FIN packets.  Or
you believe that fixing this is irrelevant?
--
Eygene