pmtud problem

Stephen Clark Stephen.Clark at seclark.us
Wed Feb 14 18:17:13 UTC 2007

Alexander Motin wrote:

>>>Are you blocking icmp with a firewall filter?
>>>

>>Good  question - but the answer is no. The other interesting fact is
>>when I drop the mtu on
>>the gre to 1412 I do see the icmp messages.
>>

>Are you using any dummynet shapes? There is ancient bug in dummynet,
>which leads to not sending of ICMPs when shape used on outgoing interface.

Hi Alexander,

I had run into that problem before, in this case I am seing a icmp for
1420 mtu for the gre
 on the 4.9 side but the tun0 interface that pppoe is 1492 to allow for
the ppp wrapper and I just
read that the gif when using ipv4  doesn't handle pmtud - that I think
is my real problem.

Steve

--

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety,
deserve neither liberty nor safety."  (Ben Franklin)

decreases."  (Thomas Jefferson)