Configuring rendevous point

Bruce M. Simpson bms at FreeBSD.org
Mon Feb 12 13:15:20 UTC 2007

sebosik at demax.sk wrote:
> Hi all
>
> situation: got freebsd box working as NAT for my local network. In kernel
> config there is an option PIM.

FYI, PIM is now the default in -CURRENT; the option has been removed.
You should be able to load multicast routing with PIM as a loadable
kernel module in -CURRENT.
> I want my hosts behind NAT to receive multicast streams. I`ve seen in
> Debian in pimdd.conf undocumented option rp_address, which stands for
> rendevous point IP address
> (http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/p/pimd/pimd_2.1.0-alpha29.17-6.diff.gz).

PIM-DM (Dense mode) does not use the Rendezvous Point.
> Is there any way to specify rendevous point in freebsd via pimd.conf or
> mrouted ?
Try XORP, in ports/net/xorp; it supports PIM-SM (Sparse mode) which is
probably what you want for this kind of network configuration.

Normally the RP for a given group or set of groups is discovered using
the Auto-RP feature of PIM-SM however, they may be statically
configured; see the 'static-rps {}' configuration block in XORP's PIM-SM.

Regards,
BMS