Serious Bind issue

Artis Caune Artis.Caune at latnet.lv
Fri Feb 9 08:27:17 UTC 2007

Doug Barton wrote:
> Javier Henderson wrote:
>
>> FWIW, I was running BIND 9.3.2 for a while and in awe at the amount of
>> memory it would use, and how it would go CPU bound after it hit any
>> operating system imposed memory quotas.
>
> Many people have reported this problem, but no one has been able to
> follow up on getting it fixed.
>
>> I went back to BIND 8.latest, and my problems went away.
>
> ... but only for the short term. Development has stopped on BIND 8,
> and I'm planning to deprecate the BIND 8 ports now that FreeBSD 4.x
> has been EOL'ed. BIND 9 is not even the wave of the future, it's now
> the present, and if it's not working for you it's incumbent on you to
> contact the bind-users at isc.org list and do what you can to help
> diagnose this problem, and test the fixes.
>
> Doug

We have no problem with BIND 9.3.x. on 2.4 Xeon, 1G RAM:
Getting ~1.6K queries per second.

CPU: 11.5% user, 0.0% nice, 0.0% system, 1.9% interrupt, 86.5% idle

PID  UID  THR PRI NICE  SIZE   RES STATE  C   TIME   WCPU COMMAND
613   53    1  96    0  747M  746M RUN    0  62.7H 37.74% named

# /boot/loader.conf
    kern.maxdsiz=1073741824

# named.conf
    max-cache-size 512M;
    recursive-clients 8192;

and BIND is compiled with following changes:
    DNS_CACHE_CLEANERINCREMENT=256 in lib/dns/cache.c
    ISC_MEM_USE_INTERNAL_MALLOC=1 in lib/isc/mem.c

And we get 1-3ms responses even while BIND is periodicaly cleaning cache
and CPU is always idle.