Serious Bind issue

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Thu Feb 8 21:29:57 UTC 2007

Javier Henderson wrote:

> FWIW, I was running BIND 9.3.2 for a while and in awe at the amount of
> memory it would use, and how it would go CPU bound after it hit any
> operating system imposed memory quotas.

Many people have reported this problem, but no one has been able to
follow up on getting it fixed.

> I went back to BIND 8.latest, and my problems went away.

... but only for the short term. Development has stopped on BIND 8,
and I'm planning to deprecate the BIND 8 ports now that FreeBSD 4.x
has been EOL'ed. BIND 9 is not even the wave of the future, it's now
the present, and if it's not working for you it's incumbent on you to
contact the bind-users at isc.org list and do what you can to help
diagnose this problem, and test the fixes.

Doug