ipfw pipe show ... help with output is needed, please.

Arone Silimantia aronesimi at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 1 14:58:49 UTC 2007

> > Second, there are seven headings (from BKT at the
left to Drp on the
> > right) but underneath those seven headings are _9_
values.  What I really
> > want to know is how many packets I am droppinig
... but I can't tell which
> > of the fields are the "dropped" - I assume it is
the final number .. if
> > so, what is that measured in ?  Packets ?
>
> I can't help you with the rest of it, as I am
frequently just as baffled
> by ipfw/dummynet as the next man ..
>
> But the 7/9 thing I can explain.
>
> Tot_pkt: 2970975653
> bytes: 2649647615805
>
> Pkt: 2
> Byte: 2992

Ok, thank you - and then the final number in the
output is the number of dropped _packets_, right ?

(snip 'ipfw pipe list' paste)

> Trust me: there will be a lot more connections set
up in those pipes than
> that. I think it's just showing a snapshot. Or I
have got it all
> completely wrong and it's not actually working at
all like I thought it
> ought.
>
> Who knows?

Can anyone clarify this ?  Is 'ipfw pipe list' just
showing a snapshot, and when I see it listing a
"protocol", and port numbers, etc., it is still
applying to _all_ IP traffic, as I have my ipfw rule
phrased:

"from any to any" ?

Because I really want this dummynet pipe to throttle
_all_ traffic, and I only ever see it listing a "tcp"
protocol, and showing a tcp port number...

My second question was:

- what happens to the packets that show up in the
"Drp" column ?  Am I losing connections/data/traffic,
or do those just get resent/reworked and nobody really
notices ?