Maximum NIC interrupts

Michael DeMan michael at staff.openaccess.org
Wed Dec 26 02:41:51 PST 2007

Hi,

I think this is a really good question.

I'm curious since we use a lot of stripped-down FreeBSD for modest
performance routers.

We typically enabling our interfaces with POLLING not so much for
performance (it seems to be a negligible improvement nowadays) but so
that we know that our OSPF/BGP/SSH processes are always responsive.

I'd be curious if anybody could get back on this.  I've never even
considered things from the perspective of how many interrupts a NIC
could generate other than that they could always generate too many.

- mike