TCP Projects for 8.0 - first cut wiki page

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Mon Dec 24 03:54:10 PST 2007

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007, dima wrote:

>> Per earlier e-mail, I've created a page to track the various on-going
>> projects:
>>
>>    http://wiki.freebsd.org/TCPProjects8
>>
>> Rui has already kindly added the TCP ECN work to the page.
>
> As I know, we have a single swi:net thread in the kernel yet. Are there any
> plans to make several such threads? If yes, this activity isn't mentioned in
> wiki.
>
> There are 2 ideas: 1. per-core thread 2. per-interface thread I like the
> second more.

This is a kind of tricky point, and one we will definitely be looking at.  In
FreeBSD 6, we did link layer processing in the ithread, and deferred network
layer and socket layer processing to the netisr and user thread.

In FreeBSD 7, we process up through the network layer and socket deliver in
the ithread, and only the socket read/copyout are deferred to the user thread.
This means that in FreeBSD 7, we get true parallelism between different input
sources.  We still have the netisr, which is used for certain types of
deferred processing, such as loopback network traffic (in order to avoid
entering the receive path from the transmit path), IPSEC tunnel processing,
etc, but for general ethernet traffic, it is not used.  This appears to work
really well for a small number of interfaces because we eliminate a large
number of context switches, and pushed the "drop point" from software into
hardware, meaning that we don't burn cycles doing link layer processing for
packets that will never make it to the network layer (netisr queue overflow).

The two real downsides are that this promotes network layer processing to
interrupt priority rather than soft interrupt priority (and this may propagate
to more other threads), and that the opportunity for parallelism is reduced
between the link layer and the network processing layer.  The reason we went
ahead and made the default change (it's configurable at runtime) is that it
seemed that in most cases, we saw a significant performance improvement.

However, the current ithread/direct dispatch model has scaling issues as we
approach larger numbers of interfaces, as the ithread approach does generally,
because when the number of active thread exceeds the number of cores and the
system is really busy, context switches are re-introduced, as well as an
increased chance of ithreads bouncing around, etc.  What to do at that point
is an interesting question--would we be better off reducing the number of
active threads so that we have a small ithread worker pool serving many
devices, for example?

So, in answer to your original question: we already do a per-interface thread
for all in-bound processing in FreeBSD 7, but we'll need to continue to work
on the underlying model and its behavior under high load.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge