Coordinating TCP projects

Lawrence Stewart lastewart at swin.edu.au
Wed Dec 19 08:05:12 PST 2007

Hi Robert,

Comments inline.

Robert Watson wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> It is rapidly becoming clear that quite a few of us have Big Plans for
> the TCP implementation over the next 12-18 months.  It's important
> that we get the plans out on the table now so that everyone working on
> these projects is aware of the larger context.  This will encourage
> collaboration, but also allow us to manage the risks inevitably
> associated with having several simultaneous projects going on in a
> very complex software base.  With that in mind, here are the large
> projects I'm currently aware of:
>
> Project            Flag Wavers        Status
> -------            -----------        ------
> TCP offload        Kip Macy        Moving to CVS and under
>                         review and testing; one
>                         supporting device driver.
>
> TCP congestion control    Sam Leffler,        At least one prototype
>             Rui Paulo,        implementation, to move to p4
>             Andre Oppermann,
>             Kip Macy,
>             Lawrence Stewart,
>             James Healy
>
> TCP overhaul        Andre Oppermann        Glimmer in eye, to move to
>                         p4.
>
> TCP lock granularity/    Robert Watson        Glimmer in eye, to occur in
> increased parallelism                p4.
>
> TCP timer unification    Andre Oppermann,    Previously committed, and to
>             Mike Silbersack        be reintroduced via p4.
>
> Monitoring ABI cleanup    Robert Watson        Glimmer in eye, to
> occur in
>                         p4.
>
> Looking at the above, it sounds like a massive amount of work taking
> place, so we will need to coordinate carefully.  I'd like to encourage
> people to avoid creating unnecessary dependencies between changes, and
> to be especially careful in coordinating potentially MFCable changes.
> There are (at least) two conflicting scheduling desires in play here:
>
> - A desire to merge MFCable changes early, so that they aren't
> entangled with
>   un-mergeable changes.  This will simplify merging and also maximize the
>   extent to which testing in HEAD will apply to them once merged to
> RELENG_7.
>
> - A desire to merge large-scale infrastructural changes early so that
> they see
>   the greatest exposure, and so that they can be introduced
> incrementally over
>   a longer period of time to shake each out.
>
> Both of these are valid perspectives, and will need to be balanced.  I
> have a few questions, then, for people involved in these or other
> projects:
>
> (0) Is your project in the above list?  If not, could you send out a
> reply
>     talking a bit about the project, who's involved, where it's taking
> place,
>     etc.

Rui@ recently posted a TCP ECN patch that probably belongs in the list
(http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-net/2007-November/015979.html)
unless it has already recently been committed.

Jim and I recently discussed the idea of implementing autotuning of the
TCP reassembly queue size based on analysis of some experimental work
we've been doing. It's a small project, but we feel it would be worth
implementing. Details follow...

Problem description:

Currently, "net.inet.tcp.reass.maxqlen" specifies the maximum number of
segments that can be held in the reassembly queue for a TCP connection.
The current default value is 48, which equates to approx. 69k of buffer
space if MSS = 1448 bytes. This means that if the TCP window grows to be
more than 48 segments wide, and a packet is lost, the receiver will
buffer the next 48 segments in the reassembly queue and subsequently
drop all the remaining segments in the window because the reassembly
buffer is full i.e. 1 packet loss in the network can equate to many
packet losses at the receiver because of insufficient buffering. This
obviously has a negative impact on performance in environments where
there is non-zero packet loss.

With the addition of automatic socket buffer tuning in FreeBSD 7, the
ability for the TCP window to grow above 48 segments is going to be even
more prevalent than it is now, so this issue will continue to affect
connections to FreeBSD based TCP receivers.

We observed that the socket receive buffer size provides a good
indication of the expected number of bytes in flight for a connection,
and can therefore serve as the figure to base the size of the reassembly
queue on.

Basic project description:

- Make the reassembly queue's max length a per-connection variable to
appropriately tailor the reassembly queue buffer size for each connection

- Piggyback automated reassembly queue sizing with the code that resizes
the socket receive buffer

  - The socket buffer tuning code already has the required
infrastructure to cap the max buffer size, so this would implicitly
limit the size of the reassembly queue

  - If the socket buffer sizes were explicitly overridden using sockopts
(e.g. to support large windows for particular apps), the reassembly
queue would grow to accommodate only connections using the larger than
normal receive buffer.

- The net.inet.tcp.reass.maxsegments tunable would still be left intact
to ensure users can set a hard cap on the max amount of memory allowed
for reassembly buffering.

> (1) What is your availability to shepherd the project through its entire
>     cycle, including early prototyping, design review, development,
>     implementation review, testing, and the inevitable long debugging
> tail
>     that all TCP projects have.

We should be able to run the reassembly queue project full cycle.

> (2) When do you think your implementation will reach a prototype phase
>     appropriate for an expanded circle of reviewers?  When do you
> think it
>     might be ready for commit?  Keep in mind that we're now a month or
> so into
>     the 18-month cycle for 8.0, and that all serious TCP work should be
>     completed at least six months before the end of the cycle.

To be safe, I'll say we should have a prototype ready by the end of Feb
2008, though I suspect we'll have something ready sooner than that.
Commit ready code should follow very shortly after that (few weeks at
most), as we anticipate that the patch will be very simple.

> (3) What potential interactions of note exist between your project and
> the
>     others being planned.  Are there explicit dependencies?

The "TCP Overhaul" project would possibly alter the location of the
changes, but shouldn't affect the essence of the changes themselves.
It's unlikely any of the other projects would affect this one.

> (4) Do you anticipate an MFC cycle for your work to RELENG_7?

Yes. A munged version could also be made available for RELENG_6.... it
just wouldn't be based on automatic receive buffer tuning, and would
probably be based on a static calculation during connection initialisation.

> I'd like for us to create a wiki page tracking these various projects,
> and pointing at per-project resources.  Once the discussion has
> settled a bit, I can take responsibility for creating such a page, but
> will need everyone involved to help maintain it, as well as to
> maintain pages (on the wiki or elsewhere) regarding the status of the
> projects.  I think it also makes a lot of sense for participants in
> the projects to send occasional updates and reports to net@/arch@ in
> order to keep people who can't track things day-to-date in the loop,
> and to invite review.

Sounds fair.

[snip]

Cheers,