default route

Eygene Ryabinkin rea-fbsd at codelabs.ru
Wed Dec 19 06:44:02 PST 2007

Tue, Dec 18, 2007 at 06:20:53PM +0100, vermaden wrote:
> > After reading this I feel that you have absolutely no packets on
> > either interfaces when your Linux box ping FreeBSD.  But this
> > contradicts with your previous assertion that if ICMP packet comes
> > in on rl1, then it is reflected at rl0.  Am I missing something?
>
> Yes I must mislook that, rl0 also is 'dead' while Linux box pings
> my FreeBSD box using net on rl1.

OK, so I feel that there are two points to check.

1. Firewall.  Even if you're running GENERIC, firewall thingies
   are compiled as kernel modules and can be loaded by the startup
   scripts.  The output of 'kldstat -v' will show what modules
   are loaded.  BPF is run before filtering, so it sees packets
   that firewall can drop.

2. Enable ICMP verbose mode in the kernel: set the variable
   'icmpprintfs' on the top of the /sys/netinet/ip_icmp.c
   to 1 and define ICMPPRINTFS during kernel compilation via
   'makeoptions ICMPPRINTFS=1'.  After this you should watch for
   kernel messages with the 'icmp' at the beginning of the line.

Hope this helps.
--
Eygene