is carp on if_bridge possible?

Niki Denev nike_d at cytexbg.com
Fri Dec 14 09:38:45 PST 2007

On Dec 14, 2007 5:31 AM, Bruce M. Simpson <bms at freebsd.org> wrote:

> Niki Denev wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Is this possible?
> > I've tried adding IFT_BRIDGE next to IFT_ETHER and IFT_L2VLAN in ip_carp.c
> > but this probably is not enough. Any ideas?
> >

> CARP is 'special' in that it needs to add its own MAC addresses to your
> interface, needs a bit of special cooperation between the IP layer and
> the MAC layer, and it's more than likely that this doesn't work with
> if_bridge.
>
> Like Max says, this is an unusual configuration.... what are you trying
> to do?
>
> BMS

I'm trying to setup a highly redundant configuration of
two routers and two rstp capable switches behind them.
Each of the router is connected to each of the switches,
and it's two interfaces are part of a bridge group.
this way i can handle router and/or switch failure without
disconnecting the site.
The problem is that this a remote site which must not go offline by
any means, and thus the unusual setup.

Hope that this explains it.

Niki