bikeshed for all!

Julian Elischer julian at elischer.org
Wed Dec 12 14:34:39 PST 2007

So, I'm playing with some multiple routing table support..
the first version is a minimal impact version with very limited functionality.
It's done that way so I can put it in RELENG_6/7 without breaking ABIs (I hope).
Later there will be a more flexible version for-current.

Here's the question..

I need a word to use to describe the network view one is currently on..
e.g. if you are usinghe second routing table, you could say I've set xxx to 1
(0 based)..

current;y in my code I'm using 'universe' but I don't like that..

one could think of it as a routing plane..
each routing plane has he same interfaces on it but they are logically
treated differently becasue each plane has a different routing table.

so here's an axample of  it in use now...
the names should change...

setuniverse 1 netstat -rn
[shows table 1]
setuniverse 2 route add 10.0.0.0/24 192.168.2.1
setuinverse 1 route add 10.0.0.0/24 192.168.3.1
setuniverse 2 route -n get 10.0.0.3
[shows 192.168.2.1]
setuniverse 1 route -n get 10.0.0.3
[shows 192.168.3.1]
setuniverse 2 start_apache
[appache starts, always using 192.168.2.1 to reach the 10.0.0 net.

also the syscall is setuniverse()

so, you see I really need a better name....
setrtab?

rtab? rtbl?

and the command should be called "????"