Pipe queues

Stephen Clark Stephen.Clark at seclark.us
Mon Dec 10 13:22:16 PST 2007

Luigi Rizzo wrote:

>On Mon, Dec 10, 2007 at 11:22:33AM -0800, Chuck Swiger wrote:
>

>>On Dec 10, 2007, at 8:56 AM, rihad wrote:
>>

>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I'm having a hard time to understand what pipe queues are with
>>>respect to bandwidth limitation. ipfw(8) and dummynet(4) manuals
>>>didn't help me much.
>>>

>>Pipes and queues are two different things; a pipe simulates a network
>>link, and a queue is used to hold packets which are backlogged because
>>they are arriving faster than the outbound link (ie, a pipe) can
>>transmit them.
>>

>>>How does dummynet's traffic shaping function?
>>>

>>It uses a variant of weighted fair queuing.
>>

>actually the shaping uses a leaky bucket algorithm.
>The weighted fair queuing is the queue management scheme used
>when you have multiple queues attached to the same pipe
>
>cheers
>luigi

Pipes are used to limit bandwidth. Queues are used to assign priority to
different classes of traffic. As an example
suppose you wanted to limit bandwidth for a specific ip to 2mbs. You set
up a pipe to do this and use ipfw to put traffic
from this ip into the 2 mbs pipe. If you then wanted to prioritize ftp
traffic at higher than priority than all other traffic for
this same user you would create 2 queues to feed the 2mbs pipe. You
would send the ftp traffic into the higher priority queue
and all other traffic for this user into the other queue.

hth,
Steve

--

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety,
deserve neither liberty nor safety."  (Ben Franklin)

decreases."  (Thomas Jefferson)