Allocating AF constants for vendors.

Alfred Perlstein alfred at freebsd.org
Tue Aug 21 16:31:51 PDT 2007

I trimmed the sender of this because I got it in private mail, that
said I thought it was a good bunch of questions so I am replying
to it.

> 64?  are you intending to bump AF_MAX or allocate them sequentially such
> that adding another AF will require AF_MAX to grow a lot?
>
> In general this seems like a bad idea to me.  I suggest you need to
> (publicly) explain what you are doing and why this is a good idea.

The goal here is to allow vendors to add their own constants without
worrying about conflicting with FreeBSD constants.  It will allow
vendors to maintain some semblance of binary compatibility against
FreeBSD.

If you look at libpcap:

 http://cvs.tcpdump.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/libpcap/pcap/bpf.h?rev=1.15

You can see that Juniper has asked for some number of reserved
"families", in our case, I think it would be a bit greedy to
grow the list _just_ for Juniper, so I suggested something that
would work for every vendor.

As far as implementation details, either one works for me, do you
have any particular preference?

Other than the actual delta, will this have any noticeable negative
impact that you can see?

--
- Alfred Perlstein