proxy-arp

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Mon Aug 13 12:32:15 PDT 2007

On Aug 13, 2007, at 12:19 PM, Jon Otterholm wrote:
>>> This is a problem because some clients interpret this as an ip-
>>> address conflict.
>>
>> Are you sure that your router is issuing the ARPOP_REQUESTS?
>> Is the entry you've published already listed in "arp -a"?
>
> Yes, the entry is already listed as an static arp with the "real"
> clients mac. The one I published earlier is intended for proxy only.

Are the clients connecting via the same interface which is sending &
receiving the proxy arps?

Normally, you use proxy-arp'ing to connect NAT'ed IPs to public IPs
you want to forward the traffic to.  If you are not using NAT, but
bridging, normally then the clients can ARP for themselves....

--
-Chuck