FreeBSD kernel: smb_maperror: Unmapped error 1:158

Scott Spare scuppers at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 18 10:15:00 PDT 2006

Hello all,I'm writing you because I found that at some point in the past, you had trouble with FreeBSD and the smb_maperror: Unmapped error 1:158 message.
For the folks who wrote about it, has anyone here resolved this issue?
I have also copied the freebsd mailing list on the issue.

The background seems to be that there are over 640 messages on Google about smb_maperror: Unmapped error 1:158  (many of them duplicates), with no answer.
There's a general agreement from looking at the sourcecode that Windows is handing samba some sort of error it can't understand.

So far I've tried:
-check all permissions on windows box against info used for logon; check smb and nsmb.conf
-set up more verbose event logging on windows box, check event log for permission related problems.

Other notes:
-only seems to happen under streaming or heavy loading.

Hardware:
-250GB IDE (PATA) drive shared via Windows
-Linksys WRT64G router operating via wired mode (100Mb/s.)

I might try in the future:
-reinstall windows-run perfmon to check for performance-related problems like dropping net packets, or disk thrashing due to page fault.-sniff network to see what's going on
ScottPS Some of the guys using Openoffice mentioned this might be related to .net Framework(?)