Stale PCI ID

Gleb Smirnoff glebius at FreeBSD.org
Fri Sep 15 07:23:46 PDT 2006

On Mon, Sep 11, 2006 at 02:02:58PM -0700, Jack Vogel wrote:
J> In the last attempt to merge community CVS with Intel internal code I
J> came across an issue I'd like to bring up.
J>
J> There is an ancient e1000 card, pci id 1000, an 82542, that we
J> don't have in our source, yet community cvs still does. Support
J> for this was removed from Linux long ago because the card did
J> not even work.
J>
J> I just had our test group hunt up one of these and test, and sure
J> enough, the driver recognizes it, but it does NOT pass traffic.
J>
J> Clearly no one is using these, at least not with STABLE :) and
J> as Intel does not want to support this I would recommend removing
J> the ID from the driver.
J>
J> Comments?

It should be removed then. When merging the Intel versions of driver to
FreeBSD, I've noticed that some PCI IDs disappeared from vendor driver.
Since I couldn't obtain any comments from the release tarball, I decided
to be on safe side and leave these PCI IDs in the driver untouched.

Which exact one are you speaking about? The E1000_DEV_ID_82542, that is
equal to 0x1000 is supported by em-6.1.4 vendor's driver.

--
Totus tuus, Glebius.
GLEBIUS-RIPN GLEB-RIPE