NEW IDEAS

Max Laier max at love2party.net
Thu Sep 7 12:25:36 PDT 2006

[ Your caps-lock is broken ]

On Thursday 07 September 2006 20:21, KES wrote:
> Hello, freebsd-net.
>
> What about this?
>
> Archie Cobbs <archie at dellroad.org> wrote:
> >>KES wrote:
> >> Hello, archie.
> >>
> >> How about 'ALTQ' node? or may be 'queue' node
> >> for packets scheduling
> >>
> >> in--->|policy|--->out
> >>
> >> policy may be CBQ, PRIO, HFSC or HTB....
> >>
> >> I want this:
> >>
> >> in-->HTB-->out - - - in-->PRIO-->out
> >
> >Sounds neat.. ask around on freebsd-net at freebsd.org as there may
> >be others interested, etc.

The problem is, how do you classify your traffic for queueing?  i.e. where
and how do you decide whether to put a given packet into queue A or B?

In the normal processing path, this happens inside the packet filters
(either pf or ipfw at this time).  On a given "firewall" rule you can
decide which queue will be used for packets that match the rule (or the
state created by this rule).  This information is later used as the
packet is enqueued in the ALTQ on the network interface.  If you want a
netgraph node (I belive that is what you are talking about) to do ALTQ,
you need a classifier somewhere as well.

/"\  Best regards,                      | mlaier at freebsd.org