Request status on sk(4) for 88E8053 Yukon PCI-E GbE

Andrew Sinclair syncman0x at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 20:04:58 PDT 2006

On 9/7/06, Nikolas Britton <nikolas.britton at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/6/06, Dinesh Nair <dinesh at alphaque.com> wrote:

> > > This is becoming a FAQ;) Search the archives of this list for example.
> > > Maybe start with
> > > http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-net/2006-January/009543.html
> >
> > we've got a device with the same NIC (0x432611ab). however our attempts to
> > get it to work took two paths, both with less then stellar results:
> >
> > 1. attempting to force the sk(4) driver to recognize this card by
> > commenting out the ifdef not_yet works in that the driver recognizes the
> > card, but it then subsequently fails to work or receive/xmit packets.
> > constant "can not stop transfer of Tx descriptor" and "can not stop
> > transfer of Rx descriptor" messages which indicate a timeout failure on
> > reading a register.
> >
> > 2. using the driver provided by the link above, and it's newer 8.12.2.3
> > version from the marvell website has the NIC recognized and working as a
> > myk(4) device with one caveat: the moment IPFILTER is turned on and even
> > with rules which permit all packets the card stops transmitting/receiving
> > packets. this wont do for us as the primary function of the box is a
> > firewall and we're using IPFILTER without an option of using PF or IPFW at
> > the moment.
> >

> I've had similar happen with this driver. If you change the
> net.inet.tcp.sendspace and net.inet.tcp.recvspace sysctls the card
> will do the same thing. My solution was to buy a new motherboard with
> Intel 82563EB connections.

Thank you all for the information. I intend to test this more
thoroughly later today. I just can't have BSD on this system full time
right now.

For what its worth, a recent Ubuntu installation handles the card
without a problem. E-Mail me if you would like me to provide any
relevant technical details.