kern/102035: [plip] plip networking disables parallel port printing

Brooks Davis brooks at one-eyed-alien.net
Sun Sep 3 10:16:19 PDT 2006

On Sat, Sep 02, 2006 at 10:20:22PM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
> Your approach is interesting, but I'm not sure I like the idea of adding a
> new semantic to the defaults file.
>
> Would you consider instead modifying network6_interface_setup in
> network.subr to not automatically configure a plip interface if
> ipv6_ifconfig_plipN is unset or null? That would accomplish the same thing,
> but it would be behind the scenes.

That's a fairly significant change since there's no requirement to explicitly
set an address for an IPv6 interface and this would suddenly require it.
It may be that the right thing to do with IPv6 interfaces is to require
that ipv6_ifconfig_ifn be set to something but that would be a change.

In many ways I think the best thing to do is remove plip from GENERIC
and be done with it.

-- Brooks