Somewhat weird net behavior

Milan Obuch net at dino.sk
Sat Oct 21 16:58:47 UTC 2006

On Saturday 21 October 2006 17:28, Robert Watson wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Oct 2006, Milan Obuch wrote:
> > I know this is really minimum information here, but I need just an idea
> > what to look for. It is strange for me - is it some memory leak? How
> > could it be cleared with simple ifconfig up? Did anyone seen something
> > similar?
>
> It is pretty minimal information :-).

Agreed. I need some help in my investigation. I have no ide what to look for.

> ifconfig down / up will cause the device driver to be reset, the link to be
> re-negotiated, etc.  The buffer full error from ping means that the
> outbound interface queue has filled, and if the error doesn't go away, it
> means it's likely wedged (no longer being processed).  This could reflect a
> bug in the device driver, a problem with the switch, etc.  In the "wedged"
> state, what does ifconfig report about link negotiation?  When you reset
> the interface, does the negotiated link type change?

I did only ifconfig up, not down/up sequence. That's a bit weird for me.
Anyway, on next ocasion, I will do ifconfig before/after ifconfig up. Could
there be some interesting information in some netstat output too? It happens
once - twice a week, so I would rather be a bit prepared beforehand.

Thanks for help.
Regards,
Milan