Avoiding natd overhead

Brett Glass brett at lariat.net
Sat Oct 21 06:48:23 UTC 2006

I'm working with a FreeBSD-based router that's using IPFW for
policy routing, traffic shaping, and transparent proxying and natd
for network address translation. IPFW does these things pretty well
(in fact, I don't know if another firewall, like pf, could even do
some of these things I'm doing with IPFW), but natd is by far the
most CPU-intensive process on the system and is causing it to
crumple like a wet towel under heavy loads. How can I replace just
the functionality of natd without moving to an entirely new
firewall? Can I still select which packets are routed to the NAT
engine, and when this occurs during the processing of the packet?

--Brett Glass