Networking newbie

Lewis Watson lists at visionsix.com
Thu Oct 19 22:08:05 UTC 2006

> As a total networking newbie, I'm looking for step-by-step
> instructions.  I
> know the network topology, but don't know how to make them 'work'.  Do
> need to 'define' a domain? What is it that makes my network a cohesive
> unit?
>
> If someone could point me to a step-by-step document, that'd be great.
> The
> FreeBSD handbook has all of the components (I suspect) but not the
> actual
> concepts of getting it all to work.
>
> Thanks!
> -Brent

Hi Brent,
I believe you will find there is not so much a step-by-step document,
but rather several protocols and technologies that you can use to achive
the network configuration that will match the needs and critera of your
network. One of the best resources I have found for basic and advanced
networking concepts is cisco.com. The documents there will introduce you
to | standardized | concepts of LAN and WAN, as well as routing,
bridging, network management, etc etc. Here are a couple of starting
points...

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/ito_doc/index.htm

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/idg4/index.htm

Good luck,