Networking newbie

Brent Marsh brent.marsh at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 16:33:54 UTC 2006

Hello,

I've been working with FreeBSD machines on and off for several years now.  I
am looking to set up my first network.  First for home, and second for an
office environment.  I want to make sure I follow 'industry standards' so my
network will have everything that any network in corporate America might
have, with no corners cut.

As a total networking newbie, I'm looking for step-by-step instructions.  I
know the network topology, but don't know how to make them 'work'.  Do I
need to 'define' a domain? What is it that makes my network a cohesive
unit?

If someone could point me to a step-by-step document, that'd be great.  The
FreeBSD handbook has all of the components (I suspect) but not the actual
concepts of getting it all to work.

Thanks!
-Brent