Problems with 6.2-PRE and udp applications - dhcpd and named - ipfw stateful issue?

Jonathan Feally vulture at netvulture.com
Wed Oct 18 08:46:16 PDT 2006

OK - It did it again. named locked up - wait chan was select. But I was
able to kill the process this time and restart it. However I was still
not able to do any query's. I added a quick ipfw add 1 allow ip from any
to any and that solved the query problem. I then proceeded to inspect my
ipfw rules. All outbound dnsquery's are using the following rule:
allow udp from any to any dst-port 53 keep-state.
I then tried to utilize some of my other keep-state rules with no luck.
It would seem as if the firewall stack simply doesn't want to do
stateful after a while.
I also tried flushing all the rules and reloading them - that still did
not work.
I can live for today with out stateful, so if anyone can help me with it
today/tpnight troubleshooting that would be great. I don't want to
reboot the machine until somebody can help me diagnose the problem -
especially since I'm running what is going to be 6.2-RELEASE.

Looking back at the mailing list - I see that there was a change to
ipfw.c that deals with dynamic rule timeout, perhaps this is to blame?

I am willing to give ssh access to debug this problem.

-Jon