Intel PRO 3945ABG Wireless

Max Laier max at love2party.net
Wed Oct 11 09:39:01 PDT 2006

On Wednesday 11 October 2006 17:32, Yuri Lukin wrote:
> Doug Barton wrote ..
>
> > On Tue, 10 Oct 2006, Paul Schmehl wrote:
> > > Why isn't anyone working on updating it?
> >
> > This is a volunteer project. No one has volunteered.
> >
> > Doug
>
> I think there are some that would like to contribute but don't
> know where to begin. I, for one, enjoy wireless networking
> and would like to contribute to the project but I dont
> know the OS internals and don't have any real programming
> experience. Perhaps some basic guidance could set people
> like myself on the right path? I'm not asking for hand-holding,
> just something to start with.

There are three things that need to be done here:
1) Adapt the bus interface.  This is not too much work and should boil
down to a couple of sed(1)s and a few manual edits.  Check drivers that
are in OpenBSD and FreeBSD and compare, or just check existing drivers.
The DRIVER(9) manual page and jmg@'s paper[1,2] should provide additional
insight.
2) Use firmware(9) to load the ucode - as far as I understand the device
needs firmware as well.  This shouldn't be much work and can be taken
verbatim from iwi(4).
3) Adapt the net80211 interface.  This one's a bit tricky since OpenBSD
went a different way with their 80211 implementation.  Again, looking at
existing drivers (esp. ath(4) as the reference implementation and iwi(4)
as a driver from OpenBSD that was also retrofitted into FreeBSD) should
give an idea what is done how.

In the end, you won't know what problems you come across until you start
with it.  I can help with questions regarding 2 & 3, but will be busy for
the next two months and don't have a 3945 to test with, either.

[1] http://www.bsdcan.org/2006/papers/freebsd.driver.pdf
[2] http://www.bsdcan.org/2006/papers/freebsd.device.driver.slides.pdf

/"\  Best regards,                      | mlaier at freebsd.org