ipfw bridge + fwd questions

Theo Schlossnagle jesus at omniti.com
Fri Sep 30 19:44:18 PDT 2005

Allowing fwd rules on bridged traffic isn't too difficult, but does
require kernel modifications (in ipfw).

As Mao says it can only work on layer 3 packets.  But, that doesn't
mean you can't do it.  It just means that when you add the FWD option
into the layer 2 ipfw switch statement you have to look deep enough
into the packet to make sure it is indeed IP and possible to fwd.
Then hand it up in the stack.

We did this on one of our networking appliances.  Basically, qualify
the packet in (args->eh) and then unlock the chain and ip_input to
push it into layer 3.