VIA VT6103 support (VIA EPIA PD)

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Thu Sep 22 03:40:58 PDT 2005

Hi,

I'm currently considering to buy a VIA EPIA PD-class main-
board as a replacement for my current LAN router.
The mainboard has two fastethernet ports, according to the
spec it is one VIA VT6105 and one VIA VT6103.

I know that both are supposed to be supported by FreeBSD.
However, searching the lists and PR database reveals that
a few people had problems with the VT6103 (and VT6102, it
seems), causing the interface to hang randomly when there
is a lot of traffic.  I couldn't find any definite infor-
mation about whether those problems have been solved or
not.

Therefore I'd like to ask:  Does the VIA VT6103 work with-
out problems under FreeBSD (RELENG_5 or RELENG_6, or maybe
even RELENG_4)?

Better yet:  Does someone use an EPIA PD* board with both
on-board interfaces under FreeBSD without problems?

Thank you very much in advance!

Best regards
   Oliver

PS:  The board has only one PCI slot, and I already need
that slot for a SCSI card, so I cannot use a CPI network
card.  Therefore it is critical that the on-board NICs
work.

"If Java had true garbage collection, most programs
would delete themselves upon execution."
        -- Robert Sewell