Efficient use of Dummynet pipes in IPFW

Paolo Pisati p.pisati at oltrelinux.com
Tue Sep 20 11:24:43 PDT 2005

On Mon, Sep 19, 2005 at 09:11:33AM -0600, Brett Glass wrote:
> I don't see it that way, because low level languages like assembler
> are normally very efficient and highly granular. The underlying
> opcode language of IPFW is low level for sure. But I would classify
> IPFW's "language," as presented by the userland utility, as "high
> level but limited." Sort of like the MS-DOS shell.

just out of curiosity, what are the abilities that you
miss in ipfw? (apart from the already mentioned problem)

let me quote you again:
> I would classify IPFW's "language," as presented by the userland
> utility, as "high level but limited."

what are the lowlevel bits that you miss?
are you talking about the ability to directly manipulate
data in a network packet or what?
i'm very interested in this topic...

--
Paolo