PPPoE and UDP fragmentation

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Sun Sep 11 15:48:28 PDT 2005

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005, Julian H. Stacey wrote:

>> -Are there any tunables at either end (both hosts are FreeBSD 4.11 p11) to
>> alter how fragmented packets are re-assembled?
>
> /usr/ports/net/tcpmssd
> An MTU adapter.  Apparently not needed on FreeBSD-5 but I mean to
> install it on my FreeBSD-4 DSL gateways when I find time to think if it might
> have any implications re ipfw & security.

I don't think that does anything to UDP, it just digs into tcp and "fixes
up" the MSS by altering it on outgoing packets.  I'm looking to further
understand UDP fragmentation and why a host might ignore fragments, and
who along the way is actually doing the fragmentation.

My current "fix" is just to set the interface MTU on the sending box to
1492, and that works well, but I'd really like to understand why it fails
without that.

Thanks!

Charles