Network performance 6.0 with netperf

Michael VInce mv at roq.com
Wed Oct 19 06:20:11 PDT 2005

Robert Watson wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Oct 2005, Michael VInce wrote:
>
>> I been doing some network benchmarking using netperf and just simple
>> 'fetch' on a new network setup to make sure I am getting the most out
>> of the router and servers, I thought I would post some results in
>> case some one can help me with my problems or if others are just
>> interested to see the results.
>

> Until recently (or maybe still), netperf was compiled with -DHISTOGRAM
> by our port/package, which resulted in a significant performance
> drop.  I believe that the port maintainer and others have agreed to
> change it, but I'm not sure if it's been committed yet, or which
> packages have been rebuilt.  You may want to manually rebuild it to
> make sure -DHISTOGRAM isn't set.
>
> You may want to try setting net.isr.direct=1 and see what performance
> impact that has for you.
>
> Robert N M Watson

I reinstalled the netperf to make sure its the latest.

I have also decided to upgrade Server-C (the i386 5.4 box) to 6.0RC1 and
noticed it gave a large improvement of network performance with a SMP
kernel.

As with the network setup ( A --- B --- C  ) with server B being the
gateway, doing a basic 'fetch' from the gateway (B) to the Apache server
(C) it gives up to 700mbits/sec transfer performance, doing a fetch from
server A thus going through the gateway gives slower but still decent
performance of up to 400mbits/sec.

B> fetch -o - > /dev/null http://server-c/file1gig.iso
-                                             100% of 1055 MB   69 MBps
00m00s

A> fetch -o - > /dev/null http://server-c/file1gig.iso
-                                             100% of 1055 MB   39 MBps
00m00s

Netperf from the gateway directly to the apache server (C) 916mbits/sec
B> /usr/local/netperf/netperf -l 20 -H server-C -t TCP_STREAM -i 10,2 -I
99,5 -- -m 4096 -s 57344 -S 57344
Elapsed Throughput - 10^6bits/sec: 916.50

Netperf from the client machine through the gateway to the apache server
(C) 315mbits/sec
A> /usr/local/netperf/netperf -l 10 -H server-C -t TCP_STREAM -i 10,2 -I
99,5 -- -m 4096 -s 57344 -S 57344
Elapsed Throughput - 10^6bits/sec: 315.89

Client to gateway netperf test shows the direct connection between these
machines is fast. 912mbits/sec
A> /usr/local/netperf/netperf -l 30 -H server-B -t TCP_STREAM -i 10,2 -I
99,5 -- -m 4096 -s 57344 -S 5734
Elapsed Throughput - 10^6bits/sec: 912.11

The strange thing now is in my last post I was able to get faster speeds
from server A to C with 'fetch' tests on non-smp kernels and slower
speeds with netperf tests. Now I get speeds a bit slower with fetch
tests but faster netperf speed tests with or without SMP on server-C.

I was going to test with 'net.isr.dispatch' but the sysctl doesn't
appear to exist, doing this returns nothing.
'sysctl -a | grep 'net.isr.dispatch'

I also tried polling but its also like that doesn't exist either.
ifconfig em3 inet 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.224 polling
ifconfig: polling: Invalid argument

When doing netperf tests there was high interrupt usage.
CPU states:  0.7% user,  0.0% nice, 13.5% system, 70.0% interrupt, 15.7%
idle

Also the server B is using its last 2 gigabit ethernet ports which are
listed from pciconf -lv as '82547EI Gigabit Ethernet Controller'
While the first 2 are listed as 'PRO/1000 P'
Does any one know if the PRO/1000P would be better?

em0 at pci5:4:0:   class=0x020000 card=0x118a8086 chip=0x108a8086 rev=0x03
hdr=0x00
    vendor   = 'Intel Corporation'
    device   = 'PRO/1000 P'

em3 at pci9:8:0:   class=0x020000 card=0x016d1028 chip=0x10768086 rev=0x05
hdr=0x00
    vendor   = 'Intel Corporation'
    device   = '82547EI Gigabit Ethernet Controller'

Cheers,
Mike