Strange Network Performance

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Tue Oct 11 11:56:17 PDT 2005

Thomas M. Skeren III wrote:
[ ...FTP transfer speeds very different... ]
> The data transfer rate is about 93.5% of these speeds for smb
> transfers.  No other server exhibits this behavior.  I'm really puzzeled.
[ ... ]
> Any suggestions as to wtf is up would be appreciated.

You should look at "netstat -i" and check for packet errors, perhaps, as well
as double-checking cabling and duplex and so forth.  This makes a nice network
test:

	ping -i 0.001 -s 1450 -c 100 host.example.com

If you adjust "sysctl net.inet.icmp.icmplim" upwards, you can change the count
to send as much data as you want.  Using a big size is assymmetric and involves
much more data sent from the machine running the commmand than is received,
using the default side sends roughly equal amounts of data.

--
-Chuck