Call for performance evaluation: net.isr.direct

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Tue Oct 11 07:01:13 PDT 2005

On Wed, 5 Oct 2005, Robert Watson wrote:

> In 2003, Jonathan Lemon added initial support for direct dispatch of
> netisr handlers from the calling thread, as part of his DARPA/NAI Labs
> contract in the DARPA CHATS research program.  Over the last two years
> since then, Sam Leffler and I have worked to refine this implementation,
> removing a number of ordering related issues, opportunities for
> excessive parallelism, recursion issues, and testing with a broad range
> of network components.  There has also been a significant effort to
> complete MPSAFE locking work throughout the network stack.  Combined
> with the earlier move to ithreads and a functional direct dispatch
> ("process to completion" implementation), there are a number of exciting
> possible benefits.

If I don't hear anything back in the near future, I will commit a change
to 7.x to make direct dispatch the default, in order to let a broader
community do the testing.  :-)  If you are setup to easily test stability
and performance relating to direct dispatch, I would appreciate any help.

As of 6.0-RC1 and recent 7.x, the name of the sysctl is "net.isr.direct";
previously it has been named "net.isr.enable", but its use is not
recommend in versions that do not use the new name.

Thanks,

Robert N M Watson