double tagged vlans on 6.0

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Fri Oct 7 07:56:35 PDT 2005

[broken quoting fixed]

Donatas <donatas at lrtc.net> wrote:
 > Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > Donatas <donatas at lrtc.net> wrote:
 > > > Just wonder - what is the major reason double vlan support
 > > > (also known as q-in-q or nested vlan)  is still not included
 > > > in freebsd.
 > >
 > > It is supported, for years already (even in FreeBSD 4.x).
 > > See ng_vlan(4).  You can even do q-in-q-in-q if you want
 > > (do Cisco etc. support that?).  ;-)
 >
 > netgraph sweet netgraph...
 >
 > think you understand on my mind was a liitle bit different
 > solution of the problem :]
 >
 > ifconfig vlan 10 create && ifconfig vlan10 vlan 10 vlandev fxp0
 > ifconfig vlan 111 create && ifconfig vlan111 vlan 111vlandev vlan10

Well, then you should switch your mind to the solution
using netgraph.  ;-)

Anyway -- You asked "what is the major reason double vlan
support is still not included", and the answer simply is:

1.  It _is_ included (only in a way different from what
    you were thinking -- but nevertheless, it _is_ there).

2.  The major reason that nobody has implemented a way to
    do it with ifconfig (like you proposed), is probably
    the fact that there's already a different way (using
    netgraph).  So nobody was motivated to implement yet
    another way to do it, I guess.

If you don't like to do it with netgraph, I suggest you
write some patches and submit them with send-pr(1).
If the patches are good, they will certainly get committed.

Best regards
   Oliver

"Perl will consistently give you what you want,
unless what you want is consistency."
        -- Larry Wall