dummynet, em driver, device polling issues :-((

Kevin Day toasty at dragondata.com
Tue Oct 4 05:44:55 PDT 2005

On Oct 4, 2005, at 7:00 AM, Ferdinand Goldmann wrote:

> Ok, to followup on this issue:
>
> Today I installed the driver which I had downloaded from the Intel
> website (em-3.2.15.tar.gz). This driver does not solve the issue
> with Ierrs rising rapidly when polling is enabled (I tried HZ=1000
> and burst_max 300 and 600).
>
> Neither throughput nor interrupt load were any better than with the
> old driver; in fact I'd say they were worse. :-( So we ended up
> rebooting with the old kernel.
>
> This is pretty bad, because we did assume that Intel cards are
> among the ones well supported by FreeBSD.
>
> Can anyone give recommendations on copper Gbit cards that work
> _well_ with recent FreeBSD 5-STABLE?

This is pretty odd. We've got dozens of servers using various
versions of 5.x, and many different em cards, and have no problem,
even when shoving near line rate speeds out of them.

Add in cards like:

em0: <Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection, Version - 1.7.35> port
0xccc0-0xccff mem 0xfcd20000-0xfcd3ffff irq 24 at device 6.0 on pci2

and built in to newer Dell servers:

em0: <Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection, Version - 1.7.35> port
0xecc0-0xecff mem 0xdfae0000-0xdfafffff irq 64 at device 7.0 on pci6

After you experience your problems, can you do "sysctl -w
hw.em0.stats=1" and "sysctl -w hw.em0.debug_info=1" and post what
gets dumped to your syslog/dmesg output?

We're using polling on nearly all the servers, and don't see ierrs at
all. Have you tried contacting Intel directly about this?
freebsdnic at mailbox.intel.com has been pretty helpful with em specific
problems in the past.