pf / queue+stateful / r generated rules assigned to the right queue?

Arne Wörner arne_woerner at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 3 14:21:35 PDT 2005

Dear Max,

Thank u for ur answer...

--- Max Laier <max at love2party.net> wrote:
>  1) One can only queue *OUT*going traffic
>  2) All unclassified outgoing traffic ends up in the default
>     queue
>  3) Don't forget about 1)

Hmm...

Isn't it possible to tell the sender of a stream to slow down?

In case of TCP I could think of a quite easy way to do so:
1. ipfw does it...
2. I would just delay the processing of the packet by the packet
filter after the apropriate rule has been identified as long as
necessary to reach the right bandwidth ratio...
3. Right now I did it with ipfw... Seems to work... Although it
looks like up to 20 packets are waiting for the right bandwidth...
Maybe the server even re-sends some packets, when the
TCP-handshaking is missed?

So I should do the traffic shaping on the server side?

Since this seems to be more TCP/IP related, I would like to keep
this in the -net@ list...

Bye
Arne