parallelizing ipfw table

Max Laier max at love2party.net
Mon Nov 28 17:05:21 GMT 2005

On Monday 28 November 2005 17:19, Gleb Smirnoff wrote:
> The number 65535 is some magic number, which means "take argument from
> table". I will make ipfw display some word instead of 65535, for example
> "tablearg". So, the rule will be looking like:
>
> 	pipe tablearg ip from any to table(1)

This is not a good idea - IMHO.  The problem is twofold: First, it adds a
special handling for a special case and is not a general sollution to the
problem (i.e. what if I want to use altq instead?).  Second, it adds
complexity to the already painfully complex ipfw-grammar.  In my opinion we
need a cleanup here first.

I remember that we had an extensive discussion about this around
FreeBSD-SA-05:13.ipfw - the bottom line seems to be: either parallel or
cacheing.  Stack storage should work as well.

/"\  Best regards,                      | mlaier at freebsd.org