Sending Ethernet frames

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at freebsd.org
Mon Mar 21 05:42:18 PST 2005

On 2005-03-21 14:05, Patrik Arlos <Patrik.Arlos at bth.se> wrote:
> I'm trying to send 'raw' Ethernet frames. I have however not found any
> examples of how to do this in BSD.
>
> Is it possible to open a 'ethernet' socket, similar to a AF_INET?  I
> need to be able to control the destination address and type/len field
> in the Ethernet header.
>
> In Linux it is possible open a SOCK_RAW and bind it to a particular
> interface, I've tried to use the sockadd_dl but in this case bind dies
> with error 22, any way to do this?

It may be a good idea to investigate if libnet does your job.

The ports version (net/libnet-devel) is based on libnet-1.1.2.1.  Mike
Schiffman, who writes libnet may have a newer version on his site:

http://www.packetfactory.net/projects/libnet/

If you do decide to use libnet, I also have a few local patches that may
be interesting; mostly updates lto ibnet's build tree that use the
latest automake and autoconf or changes to libtoolize libnet; these are
"local hacks" though.