too many Gratuitous ARPs

Danny Braniss danny at cs.huji.ac.il
Fri Mar 18 00:03:23 PST 2005

> Danny Braniss wrote:
> >>Depends on what the arps are for.
> >>
> >>On my network router (which is running 5.3), I noticed a lot of ARP messages
> >>that were not as a result of any configuration errors and was able to put a stop
> >>to it by using this control variable in sysctl:
> >>
> >>net.link.ether.inet.log_arp_wrong_iface=0
>

> is it an IPMI motherboard?
yes
> is IPMI enabled?
yes
> does it have the right address?
yes

as i mentioned in another message, it was indeed the IPMI, and it's
a configurable item, so now it's set at 60 sec., and all is much
quieter now.

The reason that the IPMI is sending out these arps, is because the big
shots that designed the IPMI did not include ARP req. handling. and the world
keeps spinning ...

danny