IPMI doesn't work...

Jeff anon1 at santaba.com
Tue Mar 15 09:34:16 PST 2005

so i poked through the broadcom driver code for linux
(http://www.broadcom.com/drivers/downloaddrivers.php) and found quite a
few mentions of ASF/IPMI in the code.  a little research shows that the
Alert Standard Forum (ASF) defines the Remote Management Control Packet
(RMCP)  used in IPMI-over-LAN.  see the readme for ipmitool:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/ipmitool/ipmitool/README?rev=1.2&view=markup

the readme also says the address of the bmc must be the same as that of
the system (as someone mentioned earlier), but i've found this not to be
the case on other platforms.  it makes a lot of sense to not tie the two
addresses together.  a change in ip

unfortunateley, i'm no driver coder or i'd attempt a patch...