NVE

Kövesdán Gábor gabor.kovesdan at t-hosting.hu
Wed Jul 27 11:28:33 GMT 2005

yerenkow at uct.ua wrote:

>Hello list users.
>
>I have bougth motherboard Epox 8kda3J, which has NV ethernet adapter MCP7.
>My system was FreeBSD 5.4 and i found NV MCP Driver for FreeBSD here:
>http://www.onthenet.com.au/~q/nvnet/
>Ok, I got it, install and kldloaded; then ifconfig tells me that my
>ethernet card see cable, but I started to receive these messages:
>device nv0 timeout(5), with ascending numbers;
>
>Ok, I get Freebsd 6.0-BETA1, where driver pre-built in kernel.
>The different were only interface name, whic is nve0, but also shows
>timeouts.
>
>This was tested with cross cable between two pcs, and with normal cable
>pc-switch.
>I tried to turn on debugging nve driver, but then system just hangs.
>
>Can anyone comment?

Hi,

I have the same network interface on Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe. That nve
driver in the FreeBSD6.0-BETA1
is very poor. Sometimes it causes a kernel panic, sometimes it hangs
with device timeouts. I've sent a PR
about that kernel panic with trace included but nobody has taken care of
that yet.

Cheers,

Gábor Kövesdán