vlan + promisc + em(4)

Charlie Schluting charlie at schluting.com
Thu Jan 27 14:41:16 PST 2005

On 1/20/2005 2:33 AM, Robert Watson wrote:
> Try "ifconfig em0 -vlanhwtag" and see if that helps.  If not, take a look
> in if_em.c:em_setup_interface(), and you'll see two lines like this:
>
> #if __FreeBSD_version >= 500000
>         ifp->if_capabilities |= IFCAP_VLAN_HWTAGGING | IFCAP_VLAN_MTU;
>         ifp->if_capenable |= IFCAP_VLAN_HWTAGGING | IFCAP_VLAN_MTU;
> #endif
>
> Delete the contents "|FCAP_VLAN_HWTAGGING |" from each line, and that
> should disable support for hardware vlan tagging and stripping in the
> driver.  There are several bugs relating to the handling of hardware vlan
> tagging and promiscuous mode in both if_re and if_em.  I had hoped to have
> a chance to resolve them over the past couple of months but have not as
> yet been able to do so.

I'm sad to report that neither worked. After doing the ifconfig -vlanhwtag,
the interface stopped recieving packets in about an hour.
After deleting IFCAP_VLAN_HWTAGGING and recompiling/rebooting, it worked for
about 4 hours, then stopped.

tcpdump sees nothing when it happens.. bringing the interface down; then back
up seems to fix it. We've got a cron on the job now :)

-Charlie