TCP out-of-order packets.

Julian Elischer julian at elischer.org
Thu Jan 13 11:00:55 PST 2005

Brooks Davis wrote:

>On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 05:07:36PM -0800, Julian Elischer wrote:
>

>>I have a link which is provided by someone else that is 7 x E1s aggregated.
>>At leat it looks that way to me when I get to see it. however I have
>>only been able to get
>>60kB.sec across this, despite having a tcp window size of 131072 bytes..
>>After investigation it appears that the link is massively re-orderring
>>packets.
>>groups of upto 10 packets may appear in random order. (Maybe more, bu tI
>>have seen 10)
>>
>>in fact packets are rarely IN order.
>>
>>This plays havoc with the tcp sessions.
>>
>>I was thinking of writing a hacked up version of NATD that
>>instead of doing NAT, just did a pre-sort on packets from each session,
>>so that the receiver would
>>see a stream of IN-order packets, with occasional delays.
>>
>>firstly, does anyone have any tools to do this already (why build when
>>you can borrow)
>>and secondly, does anyone have any experience with this sort of problem?
>>
>>I have no control over or access to the link.. all I have is a promise
>>that they will deliver
>>14Mb/Sec. with approc 300mSec. RTT to me but there is no promise about
>>packet order.
>>
>>I just get a 100Mb ethernet cable.
>>

>Have you tried Andre's TCP reassembly rewrite?  He says he saw
>significant improvements in the face of major reordering.

I don't think it's a problem with reassembly overhead, but rather a
symptom of sender
backoff when confronted with multiple duplicate acks due to the receiver
getting the packets out of order.

I wonder if there's a way to turn off the sender backoff?

>http://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-net@freebsd.org/msg14064.html

These machines are production machines on a custommer site.. running 4.8
it would be significant work to put the rewrite in (to 4.8)  and a lot
of red tape to
reboot one to the new kernel.. :-/