rstp & FreeBSD

Michael W. Lucas mwlucas at blackhelicopters.org
Thu Aug 4 18:26:10 GMT 2005

On Thu, Aug 04, 2005 at 11:16:46AM -0700, Brooks Davis wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 04, 2005 at 12:54:37PM -0400, Michael W. Lucas wrote:
> >
> > I'm sure we support rstp Ethernet for redundancy, but damned if I can
> > find the documentation.  Any suggestions?
>
> I don't think we have any RSTP code in the tree.  We recently aquired an
> STP implementation in if_bridge, but not RSTP.
>
> It's not immediatly clear to me how a host would use RSTP for
> redundency.  I suppose you could use a virtual interface and two ports
> that pretended to be switch ports that talked RSTP?  If RSTP were added
> to if_bridge, I think that would be easy to do.

I think I'm asking my question wrong, my apologies.  Let me try again:

"I want to have my FreeBSD server plugged into two switches, so that
if one switch fails I get uninterrupted service.  The switches fail
over with RSTP.  I'm sure people do this, which man page should I
read?"

Thanks,
==ml

--
Michael W. Lucas	mwlucas at FreeBSD.org, mwlucas at BlackHelicopters.org

"The cloak of anonymity protects me from the nuisance of caring." -Non Sequitur