Looking for switch recommendations ...

Steven Stremciuc steve at freeslacker.net
Tue Mar 30 14:41:32 PST 2004

Wes Peters wrote:

>>Info about the 3348's problems:
>>http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=pc_managed&message.id=1425
>>

>>The guy who posted the message in the Dell forum you linked above sounds
>>like he has no idea what he's doing.  It's not possible to use a switch
>>port mirroring function to monitor a switch without a strong knowlege of
>>network configuration.  The fact that he's getting only packets bearing the
>>IP address of the other NIC in his XP box doesn't lend me to believe he has
>>that knowlege.

I was referring to the reply from the Moderator Randy (2nd post) and not
the original poster you mention. The Moderator mentions "The switch's
architecture has ports 1-24 and gigabit port 1 on 1 ASIC, while ports
25-48 and gigabit port 2 are on the other.  Because of this
architecture, you are unable to mirror between ASICs, e.g. port 1 to
port 48." He also mentions a hardware chipset limitation that only
affects the Dell 33xx series regarding mirroring of ports that are part
of a 802.1Q VLAN.