Disabling VLAN_HWTAGGING

Ruslan Ermilov ru at freebsd.org
Tue Mar 30 02:32:56 PST 2004

On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 09:36:49AM -0800, Jacob S. Barrett wrote:
> On Monday 29 March 2004 12:12 am, Ruslan Ermilov <ru at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> > No, this is not of course expected.  Can you add some debug printfs
> > in the ng_vlan.c:ng_vlan_rcvdata() and see if it ever receives the
> > VLAN tag, and if so, print its value (perhaps the tag is entered by
> > a driver in a network byte order).
>
> Bingo... I will dig around in if_nge.c to figure out where to swap the bytes.
>
> > Well, for IP/TCP/UDP checksumming, it's possible to switch the
> > corresponding bit in the interface's enabled capabilities field.
> > OTOH, switching VLAN stripping on/off requires reprogramming of
> > the hardware.
> >
> > Generally, if the hardware supports IP/TCP/UDP checksumming and
> > or VLAN tag removal/insertion, it's better to use it.  We'd
> > better find the root of the problem and fix it.  ;)
>
> I agree, so now that we have found it I will try to fix it.  Thanks for your
> help.

OK.  After configuring our GigE switch to pass the VLAN packets
unstripped, I've been able to reproduce this problem on 4.x too.
So I've just committed a fix for this into HEAD, please test it:

$FreeBSD: src/sys/dev/nge/if_nge.c,v 1.55 2004/03/30 10:24:52 ru Exp $

The DP8382[01] data sheets are not very specific about the issue,
and most probably, the initial VLAN support has been tested
between two nge(4) cards, so the problem didn't manifest itself
until now.

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov