IPSec troubles

Crist J. Clark cristjc at comcast.net
Mon Mar 29 13:41:01 PST 2004

On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 12:06:21AM +0200, Cyrill R?ttimann wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have troubles setting up an IPSec Host-to-Host connection between
> FreeBSD 5.2.1 and MacOS X 10.3.3:

Last I knew, 5.2.1 still had broken IPsec. Specifically, the system
tries to apply the IPsec policy to the IKE traffic giving us a chicken
and egg problem. The Mac end timing out waiting to hear from the
FreeBSD system is consistent with this. Run 'tcpdump -n port 500' on
the FreeBSD system and watch for outgoing traffic, and have a look at
'netstat -sp ipsec' and see if the 'outbound packets with no SA
available' count is increasing.

The workaround was to not use IPSEC in the kernel, but FAST_IPSEC.
Crist J. Clark                     |     cjclark at alum.mit.edu
http://people.freebsd.org/~cjc/    |     cjc at freebsd.org