PCI ADSL card and PPPoA

Edwin Culp eculp at viviendaatualcance.com.mx
Sat Mar 27 08:25:22 PST 2004

Quoting User Ernie <ernie at spooky.eis.net.au>:

> Firstly I have to warn you I am a Netgraph newbie,and despite looking for
> hours, I have not found much of a tutorial on how it all fits together.
>
> I recently obtained a PCI ADSl modem card, Pulsar ADSL from Traverse
> Technologies http://www.traverse.com.au
>
> They have some test FreeBSD drivers http://adsl4linux.no-ip.org/pulsar.html
> that implement a bridge mode ADSL connection using netgraph modules:
>
> Id Refs Address    Size     Name
>  1    8 0xc0400000 65ab28   kernel
>  2    1 0xc0a5b000 7794     ng_atm.ko
>  3    4 0xc0a63000 14abc    netgraph.ko
>  4    1 0xc0a78000 386c     ng_eiface.ko
>  5    2 0xc0a7c000 3030     atm_aal.ko
>  6    1 0xc0a80000 440dc    if_pls.ko
>  7    1 0xc0ac5000 2d50     ng_atmllc.ko
>

> This all seems to work fine, the modules load up and I get an ADSL sync
> light on the ADSL PCI card.
>
> However I need to run PPPoE or PPPoA to connect to my ISP,
> I tried user ppp and mpd but the both complained that the interface was not
> ethernet.
>
> Is it possible to use some like ng_ppp  and mpd to hook to this card so I
> can establish a PPPoA session? If so can anyone suggest an mpd config?

YMMV with this answer because
   o- I use a TelCo supplied adsl modem.
   o- I've never had a problem with pppoe
      It's always just worked.

The only real difference in the configuration of ppp for
dialup and ppp for pppoe, in my case is:

    set device PPPoE:fxp1

It runs on tun[0-9], BTW but you must assign it to a free
ethernet interface.  In my case it is fxp1 - em0 is
internal and fxp0 is a different isp with a partial E-1 as
an example.

My complete configuration, with some information changed to
protect the innocent with xxxx, follows:

default:
   set log Phase tun command
# set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0
   set ifaddr xxx.78.18.xxx xx8.235.145.xxx 255.255.255.255
0.0.0.0

telmex:
   set device PPPoE:fxp1
   set authname xxxxxxxx
   set authkey xxxxx
   set dial
   set login
   add default HISADDR

It starts from rc with the rc.conf entry

# User ppp configuration.
ppp_enable="YES"    # Start user-ppp (or NO).
ppp_mode="ddial"    # Choice of "auto", "ddial", "direct" or
"dedicated".
       # For details see man page for ppp(8). Default is
auto.
ppp_nat="YES"   # Use PPP's internal network address
translation or NO.
ppp_profile="telmex"  # Which profile to use from
/etc/ppp/ppp.conf.
ppp_user="xxxx"   # Which user to run ppp as

It runs as:
# ps -ax|grep ppp
   246  ??  Ss     1:47.42 /usr/sbin/ppp -quiet -ddial -nat
telmex

I suppose auto would work the same way as ddial but I just
modified a dial-up configuration.

Hope this gives you some idea. BTW, this is on current
although I assume it doesn't change.

ed