Looking for switch recommendations ...

Brooks Davis brooks at one-eyed-alien.net
Fri Mar 26 16:05:52 PST 2004

On Fri, Mar 26, 2004 at 12:05:10PM -0400, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> I'm looking at replacing my el'cheapo switch with something better that
> will allow me to fix my issues with the em/full-duplex problem ...
>
> I'm looking for ssomething managed, as well as SNMP aware so that I can
> tie it into Zabbix for monitoring ... something 8 or 12 port preferred.
>
> Cisco, of course, is always a big name ... but also expensive ... oen
> recommendation is the xl 1900, but I can't find any specs on her at
> cisco's site, so discontinued product?

I've been happy with the Catalyst 2950T-24 (24-10/100 + 2-10/100/100).
They make smaller versions in that series.

> What about Netgear, which I have easy access to?  Or Alcatel?
>
> models to stay away from?

Stay away from the SMC TigerSwitch 8624T.  It's got a hugh list of
features an looks great on paper, but in practice, most of the features
are pretty half-assed.  It doesn't even boot reliably.

-- Brooks